The Pony Express Station

The pony express was created in an effort to find a faster method of communication across America. The first journey began on April 3, 1860, with riders starting in St. Joseph, Missouri, and relaying through to San Francisco, California. This 1,966-mile journey reduced the time of getting news across the country from twenty one to ten days. Approximately one hundred relay stations were established. Only a year and a half later, shortly after the introduction of the transcontinental telegraph line on October 24, 1861, the Pony Express was gone. But the romantic image of hard-riding young men outrunning wild Indians through all kinds of weather lives on in the history of the American West.



The first station in Salt Lake City was located on the east side of Main Street a block south of Temple Square. Nine miles to the south was the next station called “Traveler’s Rest.” To the east, the next station above Salt Lake City was Mountain Dell between Little and Big Mountains.

Plaques on the monument on Main Street (set in the public sidewalk in front of where the old station stood) shows likenesses of the three founders and shows a small relief map of the Pony Express trail from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Sacramento, California.


Additional Media

An engraving on the Pony Express Station marker shows a hard riding Pony Express man. Although short-lived because of the telegraph’s invention, this exciting mail delivery system has become an icon of the Old West in the minds of millions. Ray L. Huntington

Today a marker notes the Pony Express drop-off spot on the east side of Main Street in Salt Lake City just south of Temple Square. Kathie and W. Jeffrey Marsh.

This was a gathering of former Pony Express riders. Utah State Historical Society.

A plaque designates this as the Pony Express Station site. Robert C. Hall.